In “Unfriending Facebook” Veronica Majerol explains why
younger people don’t go on Facebook anymore and how some of them delete their account.
Facebook is the largest social-network site in the world. While Facebook have
been in the world for many years, “more than 50 percent of Americans said they
think Facebook is a passing fad.”
Why They Quit
People quit because of the privacy issues. Some people
question Facebook on how they handle the quantity of data that’s collected from
the users and how much control Facebook has to delete their own content. While other
people not wanting the world to know everything about them. 19 year-old
sophomore, Zach Peterson deleted his account after 4 years because when he
bought a new car, he posted a picture on Facebook for his friends. But everyone
knew about it, even people who he didn’t know.
People deleted their Facebook because there just not interested.
Mary Carney, a senior at Clemson University said it’s a waste of time and said
it could be used better on studying or others things.
I had a Facebook before but I deleted it after 3 months. It was
boring and I didn’t see the point of going on it every day to see the same
thing. And there was drama, a lot of it. People talking about other people and
fights. Who got beat up and who didn’t want to fight. People would post stupid
things also. I didn’t have time and it was annoying.
Not a lot of people go on Facebook like they used to. They either
go on Twitter or Instagram. But I think in a couple of years Twitter and
Instagram are not going to be popular like they are now.
Sometimes I think younger people go on these websites because
there bored. But I don’t think there a point. There talking to the same people they
talk at school or on the phone, and when they go online there going to talk
about the same thing. So it’s just silly to me.
Good post. Do you think that Twitter and Instagram also create the kind of drama that leads to fights? If so, why do you visit those sites? 95
ReplyDelete